Founded in 1855, First Presbyterian Church of Shakopee has a long history of being a church who will listen to the needs, the concerns, the sorrows and the joys of its own people and those in the community, while together praying for guidance in how we will respond to God’s will, and in how we may be “God’s hands at work.” We do rejoice that we share questions, grow in love for Christ and are being transformed together according to God’s purposes.
Samuel Pond, founder of First Presbyterian Church in Shakopee, Minnesota.
Samuel Pond and his brother, Gideon Pond, arrived in Minnesota as independent missionaries.
Samuel Pond invited by Chief Shakopee to move near the present city, and opened a school and mission for the Dakota. A mission house was built east of Faribault Springs.
The Rev. Samuel Pond began preaching to the settlers.
Samuel Pond organized the First Presbyterian Church of Shakopee with six charter members.
First Presbyterian Church’s first building, a log cabin, was built
Ground was broken for the second church building at First and Fillmore streets. Dedication took place in February, 1900, the 45th Anniversary of the organization of the parish by Samuel Pond. The building cost about $4,000.
The 50th Anniversary of Samuel Pond’s parish.
Diamond Jubilee. The bell, which had been brought from the original structure at 2nd and Main, was rededicated.
Centennial. The Reverend John O. Wollin was pastor.
A committee was formed to plan for the new church building.
The first services were held on March 26, 1967 in the new building on Easter Sunday. The new church was formally dedicated May 7th, 1967. First Presbyterian church continues to worship in this building today.
The 150th Anniversary of Samuel Pond’s parish.
Presbyterian USA recognized First Presbyterian Church for membership growth.
First Presbyterian Church of Shakopee, Minnesota celebrated its 160th Anniversary.